What is a Lifebook?
A lifebook brings together a child’s past, present, and future. It is a book to document a child’s history, celebrate accomplishments, and allow his or her talents to shine. It is a record of a child’s life in his or her own words using photos, artwork, and things picked up along the way. Creating a lifebook allows a child to honor life, one day and one event at a time.
Working together on a lifebook can bring a foster parent and child closer together. It creates a natural opportunity to talk about the circumstances of the foster care and/or adoptive placement. A lifebook is a useful tool in any stage of foster care or adoption.
Benefits of Creating a Lifebook
- A lifebook is an easy tool to use to get to know a new child in your home. Working with the child to create pages that reflect his or her life will help you get to know the child better and build a relationship in the process.
- It can help a child prepare to return to their birth family. You can help a child document and celebrate accomplishments while in care, and keep track of the important people in his or her life.
- Helps prepare a child for adoption. You can work with the child to build a bridge between the birth family and the adoptive family.
- A lifebook can help a child build self-awareness and self-esteem. When a child looks through his or her history, they can better understand what has happened to them, who to turn to for help, and the strengths they have which will allow them to move forward. A lifebook should include important milestones to remind a child how much they have accomplished and how many people they have cheering for them.
- It allows a child to express themselves creatively and dream about the future.
- Start at any age. If a child comes to your home without one, it is the perfect time to start working on it.
Create Your Lifebook
Each year KVC Nebraska hosts a Crop for Kids Scrapbooking Fundraiser. This weekend event offers 3 days of scrapbooking fun, food and raffles for those who would like to scrapbook together, meet with experts and share tips with other scrapbookers. It’s a great way to have fun while raising money that directly helps the children and families KVC Nebraska serves. All funds raised will go towards KVC’s Annual Resource Family Conference. Click here to learn more about the Crop for Kids Scrapbooking Fundraiser event.
- Lifebook Pages
- 10 Steps to Creating a Lifebook
- Lifebooks: Keeping it Together
- My Foster Care Journey