Extended Family Homes
An Extended Family Home (EFH) is a safe, loving and structured living environment with a family, couple or individual. Extended Family Homes provide individuals with developmental and/or intellectual disabilities intensive social and independent living skills training in a family setting. Individuals living with an Extended Family Home help to determine their own goals for habilitation and independence.
Individuals in EFH’s Need:
- A safe place to live with necessary supervision and/or support
- Life skills training to increase independence
- Access and introduction to inclusive community activities to enhance and enrich their lives
Extended Family Homes through KVC will receive the following services:
- A designated EFH Specialist to provide 24/7 support and direction
- On-time monthly reimbursement payments
- Ongoing training and support
If you would like to become an extended family home, we encourage any adult that meets the following criteria to contact your local KVC office. Our professional staff are ready to answer any questions you have about extended family home requirements, starting the application process, and when our next training classes begin.
Extended Family Homes in Nebraska must:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Have a valid driver’s license and/or reliable transportation
- Be willing for everyone in your household to undergo complete background checks
- Complete KVC’s EFH training protocol (including CPR/First Aid, MANDT and Medication Adie)
- Meet all applicable DHHS regulations
Become an Extended Family Home
To learn more or sign up for a free training class, fill out the form below or call us. In Omaha, contact us at (402) 578-3173. In Lincoln, contact us at (402) 617-8567.